The Scarlet Runner Pole Bean is just about as traditional a vegetable you can grow in your garden. Named for its showy red hummingbird attractors (flowers) it puts out on 6'-8' vines that will grow on fences, trellises, and yes, poles. This high-yielding runner bean produces foot-long pods with speckled red-purple beans, but pick them sooner for best flavor. Tolerates heat and drought, and doesn’t mind cool nights.
- Easy to grow
- Heat tolerant
- Long pods up to 8"-12”
- Eat fresh, shelled, or dried
SEED PLANTING TIPS
- Botanical name: Phaseolus coccineus
- Depth to plant seeds: 1" deep
- Spacing between plants: 5" apart
- Spacing between rows: 18"-24" apart
- Days to germinate (sprout): 8-14 days
- Germination soil temps: 70F-85F
- Soil needs: 6.0-7.0 pH
- Sun needs: Full sun
- Frost hardy: No
- Planting season: Spring, summer
- # of plants per sq. ft.: Appx. 4 plants per sq. ft.
- Days to maturity: 65-75 days
Click here to view our full Bean grow guide
Good companion plants: Cucumber, Pea, Rosemary, Thyme, Tomato
🌱 🥳 The perfect gift idea
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
THE PERFECT GIFT IDEA FOR ANY OCCASION Gift a membership to the Urban Organic Gardener's Monthly Seed Club: http://www.urbanorganicgardener.club